Sunday, November 06, 2005

Voyeurism

Yesterday I was on the train. I stood near the doors with my back against the glass partition.

There was this couple standing in front of me, she was looking at him intently. He was not meeting her eyes. She stared at him for the longest time.

It was like watching a movie or reading a novel. 'She searched his face for traces of remorse, but he refused to meet her eyes' ... or something cheesy like that.

She spoke.

I didn't hear what she said, cause I had my headphones on. It would be very rude to evasdrop too. In fact, I was getting really uncomfortable standing there - because it felt like I was interupting a really private moment.

But like I said, it was really like watching a scenario which you are really familiar with, just that this time you're watching as a third person perspective rather than being in the moment itself. And you cannot take your eyes off it.

He didn't reply and still refused to meet her eyes. He was looking everywhere else but at her. She was still looking at him; her face was impassive, but her eyes were almost - for lack of a better word - pleading. It just seemed like they were alone, like the rest of the people in the train didn't exist but them.

It went on like that for a good 5 minutes. All the while she was staring at him, and he was looking out of the window.

At last, he spoke. Earnestly. Honestly. His head hung low.

As he spoke, she was slowly tearing. Like, she has already expected to hear what he was going to say, but still it still hurt to hear it out loud. For some reason, I really emphatised with her. Because she looked really hurt and well... I'm guessing this, but she looked really disappointed with him as well.

He looked at her at last. She was wiping her tears.

Then he held her hands, and they walked out at the next station.

Don't you just love happy endings? (:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home